date(s):
1886-1951
type(s):
Documentary Artifacts; Collection
A1456 St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church Records Inventory of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church Records A1456 EAD by Jaime Bourassa using ArchivesSpace Missouri Historical Society Library and Research Center 2017 225 S. Skinker Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63105 archives@mohistory.org URL: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-09-27 06:36:32 -0500 . English Describing Archives: A Content Standard English Missouri Historical Society Library and Research Center St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church Records St. Stephen's House (Church : Saint Louis, Mo.) A1456 1.4 Cubic Feet (3 boxes; 1 oversize folder) 1886-1951 Processing Information Processed by Rebecca Polityka and Dennis Northcott. Donor Information Not available. Historical Sketch Established in 1886 by laymen who wished to spread Episcopal doctrine, Saint Stephen’s House became a charitable institution in St. Louis. Working out of a series of tents, Reverend Richard W.E. Green took control of St. Stephen’s House from the laymen and continued with the spread of doctrine as well as charitable programs until 1891 when Reverend Richard Gustavus Tuckerman succeeded him. Under Tuckerman’s leadership, a church was built in St. Stephen’s name in 1905 at Sixth Street and Rutger Street. Prior to construction of the church in 1901, Reverend Henry Watson Mizner (1869-1930) arrived at St. Stephen’s and later took over for Tuckerman. Popular among parishioners and successful as a missionary, Mizner stayed at St. Stephen’s for twenty-five years, expanding the community outreach programs and bringing youth programs to the church. Through much fundraising and donations, Mizner kept the mission work of St. Stephen’s active in St. Louis and recognized around the nation. On March 6, 1921, Bishop Daniel S. Tuttle officially recognized St. Stephen’s House as St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, and instituted Mizner as first priest and rector the same day. Mizner stayed at St. Stephen’s until 1926, when he resigned as pastor and moved with his family to Florida. Reverend Roy Spencer Rawson became pastor of St. Stephen’s following Mizner’s departure. In 1928, Mizner suffered a stroke and died two years later on July 9th in Paris. Programs of St. Stephen’s included the Men’s Club, Mother’s Club, Girls’ Friendly Society, Boy Scouts, Women’s Auxiliary, and also St. Stephen’s-in-the-Hills. Located in Allenton, Missouri, St. Stephen’s-in-the-Hills served as a country getaway for parishioners (especially for children as a summer camp). Scope and Contents The papers contain minutes and reports of various organizations of St. Stephen’s Church, such as the Men’s Club and Girls’ Friendly Society; financial records of the church; items relating to church musical and theatrical performances; correspondence, mostly of Reverend Henry Mizner; items relating to St. Stephen’s-in-the-Hills; papers regarding health services; items regarding church members, and newspaper clippings regarding the church. Arrangement The collection is arranged by type of material and chronologically within each folder. Separated Materials Items transferred to Library (August 24, 2001) : Seven issues of The Church News : January 15, 1902; May 15, 1902; July 1910; November 1913; May 1914; December 1921; and April 1922. Nineteen issues of the Saint Stephen’s Chimes : February 1904; March 1904; May 1904; June 1904; March 1905; January 1906; March 1906; November 1906; April 1911; September 1913; October 1913; November 1913; March 1915; April 1915; May 1915; June 1915; October 3, 1948; November 1948; January 1949; February 1949; and March 1949. Annual Report of the Under-Age Free Kindergarten Association 1909-1910 . (1 item Conditions Governing Access The collection is open for research use. Conditions Governing Use For permission to publish, quote from, or reproduce material in this collection, please contact the Archives Reference Desk at archives@mohistory.org . Copyright restrictions may apply. The researcher assumes full responsibility for comforming to the laws of copyright. Physical and Technical Requirements There are no physical or technical restrictions. Preferred Citation St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church Records, Missouri Historical Society Archives, St. Louis. Charities -- Missouri -- Saint Louis Episcopal churches -- Missouri -- Saint Louis Religion Hymns and carols. (26 items) 1906-1922 1 1 Order of service papers and printed prayers (includes items from Christ Cathedral Church, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, and St. Peter’s Episcopal Church). (47 items) 1910-1936 1 2 Programs, tickets, advertisements, and scripts for church performances including plays, minstrel shows, concerts, and recitals. (64 items) 1904-1933 1 3 Programs, tickets, advertisements and scripts for church performances including plays, minstrel shows, concerts and recitals. (20 items) No date 1 4 St. Stephen’s-in-the-Hills guest book. (1 item) 1926-1927 1 5 Papers regarding St. Stephen’s-in-the-Hills. (52 items) 1907-1918 1 6 St. Stephen’s-in-the-Hills account book. (1 item) 1923-1930 1 7 Paper regarding St. Stephen’s Dispensary and health services. (10 items) 1917-1920 1 8 Papers regarding church membership. (60 items) 1886-1951 1 9 Parochial registers. (2 items) 1886-1899 2 1 Papers regarding the estate of George D. Barnard. (18 items) 1915-1923 2 2 Announcements for various church events. (50 items) 1909-1926 2 3 Papers regarding articles of association of St. Stephen’s Parish. (4 items) 1920-1921 2 4 Papers regarding expansion plan. (5 items) 1906 2 5 Correspondence, estimates, and receipts, mostly of A. Blair Ridington (architect) and Brador Construction Company, regarding construction, alterations, and repairs to St. Stephen’s. (71 items) 1897-1922 2 6 Correspondence, estimates, and receipts, mostly of A. Blair Ridington (architect) and Brador Construction Company, regarding construction, alterations, and repairs to St. Stephen’s. (12 items) 1923 2 7 Tax papers. (3 items) 1912-1918 2 8 General financial papers. (78 items) 1900-1925 2 9 Meeting minutes/reports. (19 items) 1916-1922 2 10 Woman’s Auxiliary papers. (7 items) 1918-1921 2 11 Sunday School papers. (2 items) 1916-1920 2 12 Girls’ Friendly Society papers. (3 items) 1915-1922 2 13 Men’s Club reports. (3 items) 1920-1921 2 14 Mother’s Club papers. (13 items) 1916-1920 2 15 Parish Council and Vestry Meeting minutes. (32 items) 1916-1922 2 16 Rector’s report. (2 items) 1935 2 17 Advisory Council meeting minutes. (5 items) 1916-1921 2 18 Correspondence to Rev. Mizner. (75 items) 1902-1911 2 19 Correspondence to Rev. Mizner. (52 items) 1912-1921 2 20 Correspondence from Rev. Mizner. (17 items) 1901-1916 3 1 General correspondence regarding church matters. (47 items) 1911-1948 3 2 Newspaper articles relating to church and clergy. (13 items) 1908-1931 3 3 Printed matter. (32 items) 1898-1948 3 4 William Henry Key, A Study of a Religious Institution and Its Relation to the Area in Which It Is Located (Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Washington University, dissertation). (1 item) 1949 June 3 5 Christ Church Cathedral Yearbook. (2 items) 1892; 1897 3 6 Miscellaneous. (39 items) No date 3 7