A1429 Saint Louis Maternity Hospital Records Inventory of Saint Louis Maternity Hospital Records A1429 EAD by Jaime Bourassa using ArchivesSpace Missouri Historical Society Library and Research Center 2017 225 S. Skinker Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63105 firstname.lastname@example.org URL: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-09-27 06:31:44 -0500 . English Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Missouri Historical Society Library and Research Center
Saint Louis Maternity Hospital Records
0.6 Cubic Feet
(1 box; 1 oversize folder)
Processed by Dina Young, June 1999.
The St. Louis Maternity Hospital Papers were donated to the Missouri Historical Society on January 12, 1995 (95-0055 Archives; 1995.2 Collections), by Mrs. Arthur C. Hiemenz, Jr., in memory of her mother Julia Fay Carton Donovan. Mrs. Hiemenz's maternal grandmother Mrs. Benoist (Fay H.) Carton served as president of the Maternity Hospital Board of Directors from the mid-1920s until 1932. Some clothing owned by Mrs. Carton was donated at the same time and is housed in the Collections Department.
The St. Louis Maternity Hospital was founded in May 1908 when Mrs. Elizabeth Samuel Garrison hosted a meeting of friends, physicians, and clergy to discuss the need for a maternity hospital where poor married women and "unfortunate" girls could be cared for before, during, and after their confinement. The non-sectarian hospital began in a six-room house at 3430 Lucas Avenue, then soon moved to larger quarters at 2621 Locust Street. In 1912, as demand for services continued to increase, the hospital moved into a former sanitarium at 4518 Washington Avenue. From its beginning, the institution's financial support came solely from the public through subscriptions and various fundraising efforts. By the 1920s, about 50% of the work at the hospital was without cost to the patients. In 1924, the Rockefeller General Education Board gave the hospital's research department a gift of $650,000, contingent upon the construction of a new and enlarged building. The Maternity Hospital, newly affiliated with Washington University, would use the money for research and teaching in obstetrics and diseases of newborns. Although affiliated with the university, the Maternity Hospital still relied on public support for building funds and operating expenses. An eight-story building was erected at 630 South Kingshighway in 1928, and the Maternity Hospital continued to operate at that site until the early 1970s, when it ceased to exist as an independent hospital. As of 1999, the Maternity Hospital houses medical offices as part of the Barnes-Jewish Hospital Complex at the Washington University Medical Center Complex.
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the St. Louis Maternity Hospital Papers relate to the issue of fundraising to pay for the new (1928) hospital. The collection is also particularly strong in documenting the construction of the hospital building at 630 South Kingshighway during the years 1925 through 1928. The correspondence with the architects reveals not only concerns about the modernity and efficiency of the building's layout, but hints at social issues as well. A letter dated October 12, 1925, refers specifically to "toilet rooms for white men and women." Another letter dated October 12, 1929, suggests that an entrance "could still be used for taxi cab and negro patients." There are few items that illuminate the inner workings of the hospital or inform the researcher of the philosophy behind the hospital.
The collection is arranged in 10 folders by subject.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
For permission to publish, quote from, or reproduce material in this collection, please contact the Archives Reference Desk at email@example.com . Copyright restrictions may apply. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright.
Physical and Technical Requirements
There are no physical or technical restrictions.
A pamphlet in the Missouri Historical Society Library offers an account of the first three years' service of the St. Louis Maternity Hospital, and there are a few other references in the Library's Information File.
The Hospital Saturday and Sunday Association Records in the Archives contain a small amount of information on funding for the Maternity Hospital.
The Archives and Rare Books Department of the Washington University Medical School Library has material on the Maternity Hospital, although there are no patient records there.
The St. Louis Public Library has some of the hospital's annual reports for the period 1908 to 1916.
Saint Louis Maternity Hospital Records, Missouri Historical Society Archives, St. Louis.
Hospital buildings -- Design and construction
Hospitals -- Missouri -- Saint Louis
Women's hospitals -- Missouri -- Saint Louis
Saint Louis Maternity Hospital
Fliers and Newsclippings. 1924-circa 1931 1 1 Board of Directors. Correspondence, lists of officers and directors, minutes (April 25, 1928 only). 1926-1934 1 2 St. Louis Hospital Social Service. Minutes (December 1926; April 2, 1928; May 7, 1928; December 3, 1928); Community Fund list of appropriations, March 1928; issue of "Community Courier," published by the St. Louis Community Council, April 14, 1928. 1926-1931 1 3 Hospital Construction, 630 South Kingshighway. Correspondence with architects and contractors, and regarding sale of property at 4518 Washington. 1925-1931 1 4 Hospital Operations. Contract between Washington University and Barnes Hospital, Children's Hospital, St. Louis Maternity Hospital regarding nurses and management of Nurses Home (July 1, 1926); correspondence regarding student nursing service: price lists of groceries, bandages, gas costs (1928-1930); inventories of linens and china, summaries of items purchased (1929-1930); weekly menus (2) for private patients. 1928-1930 1 5 Financing and Fundraising. Correspondence; subscription drives 1915-1916, 1924: lists of subscribers; mortgage extinguishment fund. 1913-circa 1928 1 6 Broadside, "Help, Help, Help/St. Louis Maternity Hospital/Rummage Sale." (filed Oversize) 1922 OS: Saint L Lists of Contributors. circa 1926-1928 1 7 Ledger Book. Names and addresses; accounting of income from "Mr. Mahler's Play." 1911 May 1 8 Ledger Book. Subscriptions and contributions. 1913-1914 1 9 Modern Hospital, Vol. 28, No.4. Includes story, "The University and Nursing Education," by Franklin C. McLean, M.D., page 140. 1927 Apr 1 10