Effective February 29, 2016, Soldiers Memorial Military Museum has closed for renovations.
The Museum is expected to reopen in 2018.
The Missouri Historical Society, which operates the Missouri History Museum in Forest Park and the Library and Research Center on Skinker Boulevard, has taken the helm at Soldiers Memorial Military Museum in a long-term agreement with the City of St. Louis.
On November 11, 2015, leaders of the Missouri Historical Society and the City of St. Louis signed a construction oversight, museum development, and operating agreement in regards to Soldiers Memorial. The agreement will allow the Missouri Historical Society to lead a multimillion dollar renovation of the historic structure to create a state-of-the-art museum facility that honors military service, veterans, and their families. Under this agreement, the Missouri Historical Society will be responsible for the Soldiers Memorial Military Museum at 1315 Chestnut Street and the Court of Honor, located directly across Chestnut from Soldiers Memorial. The Missouri Historical Society will oversee a substantial renovation and reconstruction of Soldiers Memorial, will care for Soldiers Memorial’s collections of artifacts, and will be charged with all permanent and special exhibitions, among other museum operation responsibilities. The City of St. Louis's Soldiers Memorial Commission will continue to serve in an advisory capacity.
About Soldiers Memorial Military Museum
The City of St. Louis created a Memorial Plaza Commission in 1925 to oversee the creation of the Memorial Plaza and Soldiers Memorial. Designed as a memorial to the St. Louis citizens who gave their lives in World War I, the Memorial became Project No. 5098 of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The St. Louis architectural firm Mauran, Russell & Crowell designed the classical Memorial with an art deco flair and St. Louis–born sculptor Walker Hancock created four monumental sculpture groupings entitled Loyalty, Vision, Courage, and Sacrifice to flank the entrances. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the site on October 14, 1936, and Soldiers Memorial Military Museum opened to the public on Memorial Day, May 30, 1938. Click here to read more.
Want to know more about our timeline and Soldiers Memorial's collections of artifacts?
Click here to access FAQs for the Soldiers Memorial Revitalization Project
Stay up to date on our progress!
Follow Soldiers Memorial on social media and click the envelope to sign up for email updates.
Missouri History Museum
Lindell and DeBaliviere in Forest Park, St. Louis, Missouri, (314) 746-4599
Library and Research Center
225 S. Skinker (across from Forest Park), St. Louis, Missouri, (314) 746-4500
All content © 1999-2016 Missouri History Museum. St. Louis, Mo.