After leaving the St. Louis Motor
Carriage Company in 1906, George P. Dorris founded the Dorris
Motor Car Company with the financial backing of H. B. Krenning.
The automobiles produced from this company were priced close to
twice that of the average motorcars of the time, which was reflected
in its motto, Built to Last. During this time Dorris continued
to strive for excellence in engineering, developing at least 12
new patents for automotive improvements.
The later motto, Built Up to Standard, Not Down to Price, accurately
described Dorris’s uncompromising commitment to building
quality (Dorris cars were priced over $2,000), not quantity (competitors
such as Ford were mass producing cars for under $400). However,
this contributed to the company’s slow decline, and by 1916
the company remained in business with only the truck and bus production.
By 1924, the Dorris Motor Car Company had dissolved. The following
year, Dorris established Dorris Motors Incorporated, a company
that focused on buses. However, it lasted only until 1926.
1924 Dorris 6-80 Touring Car
This Dorris 6-80 was originally built for William G. H. Ballwin of St. Louis, Missouri. His name and address are written on the frame of the car. This Dorris has changed owners several times over the years, including being owned by the Harrah's Automobile Museum in Reno, Nevada for a short time, before moving on to new owners in California, Texas, and finally back to Missouri in the I980s.
Dorris Motor Car Company employees, 1909.
1919 Dorris Truck
This 1919 Dorris truck began as a 6-80 touring car and was later converted to a truck. It was used for many years by the Debrecht market and grocery store in St. Louis. The truck has a six-cylinder engine and 80 horsepower and was purchased new for $5,400.
This Dorris truck is owned by the St. Louis Museum of Transportation and was recently conserved.
Dorris Motor Car Company Plant #3 located on Forest Park Boulevard, 1919
Ad from The Auto Review for Dorris motor car, 1906.